Since before the creation of our physical world, there has been an unseen, yet very real, spiritual realm and it is just as real today as it was then. Before there was physical light and physical darkness, there was spiritual light and spiritual darkness (Genesis 1:3-4, Genesis 1:14-18). That spiritual light is the Lord and that spiritual darkness is our adversary, the devil. God divided the light from the darkness early in the Bible, setting in motion a battle throughout the ages between the forces of darkness and the children of light. As Christians, we now find ourselves engaged in this battle. In this lesson, we will see:
- Our Real Battle
- Our Real Adversaries
- Our True Victory
Our Real Battle
Spiritual warfare is real (Ephesians 6:12)
- The spiritual realm has existed since the beginning Genesis 28:10-14, 2Kings 6:13-17, Job 1-2, Daniel 3:23-25, Matthew 4:1-11, 1Thessalonians 2:17-18, Jude 1:5-9
- Our battle is not against flesh and blood (mankind), but against unseen enemies 2Corinthians 10:3-4, 1Corinthians 16:9, 2Corinthians 7:5, 2Thessalonians 3:1-3
- Our individual minds are the battlefield of this warfare Romans 7:22-25, 2Corinthians 10:3-6, Colossians 1:21
Our Real Adversaries
Our spiritual adversaries are actively warring against God’s will in our life (Ephesians 2:1-3)
- The devil is the principal enemy against God and His children 2Corinthians 11:2-3, Ephesians 6:11
- The devil currently controls this world and uses it to distract us 1John 2:15-17, 2Corinthians 4:3-4, Colossians 2:8, 2Timothy 2:3-4
- Our flesh is our closest adversary and the one most likely to trip us up Romans 7:18, Galatians 5:19-21
Our True Victory
The battle has been, is, and will always be the Lord’s (Ephesians 6:10)
- His victory was announced from the beginning Genesis 3:15, Romans 16:20, Revelation 1:17-18
- We need to realize the battle has already been won by Christ 1Samuel 17:45-47, John 16:33, Romans 8:31, 37, 1Corinthians 15:57, Colossians 2:9-15
- We are called to simply stand in His power against these adversaries Zechariah 4:6, Ephesians 6:13-14, 1Corinthians 16:13, Philippians 3:8-10, 2Corinthians 1:8-10, 1Timothy 1:18-19
Digging Deeper – Learning more about spiritual warfare
The path of victory or defeat in this spiritual battle has been clearly laid out in the scriptures. Two clear examples are Eve facing the serpent in Genesis 3:1-6 and Christ facing Satan in Matthew 4:1-11. We see the attack of the enemy, the vulnerability of the flesh and the key to victory. In the following verses, we can glean understanding to avoid temptation and ensure victory in our daily walk against our adversaries.
- Genesis 3:1 - What do the first words of our adversary tell us about his attack?
- Genesis 3:2-3 - What does Eve’s response tell us about her stand against this adversary?
- Genesis 3:5 - What is the adversary appealing to, in his subtle attack?
- Matthew 4:1 – Does the devil make us sin or are we drawn / deceived to sin?
- Matthew 4:2-3 – When and how does our adversary attack?
- Matthew 4:6 – How does our adversary use scripture in this specific attack?
- Matthew 4:4, 7, 10 – How do we stand against our adversary and have victory?
Meditating on the Word:
And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world,
according to the prince of the power of the air,
the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past
in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind;
and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.