In spiritual warfare, there are 3 specific enemies we must face in our daily pursuit of a relationship with God: the flesh, the world, and the devil. These enemies actively counter, hinder, or otherwise negate the Word of God and the work of God in our lives. The world is one of those enemies. It is manifested in the corrupted version of God’s original creation and in the underlying spiritual system which is contrary to the ways of the Lord. In this lesson, we will see how the world operates, our victory over it, and God’s ultimate plan for it in the following points:
- The Present World is Evil
- The Present World is our Enemy
- The Present World has an End
The Present World is Evil
The world has been corrupted, both physically and spiritually Genesis 6:11-12, Romans 5:12
- All that is in this present world is contrary to God 1John 2:15-16, Romans 3:19, 1Corinthians 3:19, James 4:4, 1John 5:19
- This world and its ways are carnal, vain, and temporal Psalm 73:12, Matthew 13:22, Matthew 16:26, 1Corinthians 2:6, 1Corinthians 7:31-34, Colossians 2:8
- Satan controls the present world (i.e. principalities and powers) Matthew 4:8-9, 2Corinthians 4:3-4, John 14:27-31, Isaiah 14:12, 16-17, Ephesians 6:12
The Present World is our Enemy
As Christians, we are in the world, but we should not be of the world Galatians 6:14
- We are naturally inclined to the world and its ways John 8:21-23, Ephesians 2:1-3, 2Timothy 4:10
- We should be separated from this world John 15:18-19, Romans 12:2, 1Corinthians 5:9-11, 1Timothy 6:6-11, Titus 2:11-13
- Through Christ, we have overcome the world John 16:33, Galatians 6:14, 1John 5:4-5, 1John 4:3-5
- We are to be a light to the world Ephesians 5:8-13, Matthew 5:14-16, 2Corinthians 4:5-6, Philippians 2:15
The Present World has an End
This world will end and a new one will replace it 2Peter 3:10-13
- The present world will come to an end 1Kings 2:1-2, Matthew 12:32, Matthew 24:35, 1John 2:17
- The present world will be judged Psalm 96:12-13, Psalm 98:8-9, Isaiah 13:11
- And yet, the Lord loves the world, has died for its inhabitants and will recover His creation John 3:16-17, Psalm 24:1, Isaiah 65:17, Luke 18:29-30, Revelation 21:1
- Set your affection above, on the Lord and eternal things, not on this temporal world 2Corinthians 4:18, Colossians 3:1-3, Philippians 3:18-21, 2Corinthians 5:8
Digging Deeper – Learning more about our enemy, the world
There are many types or pictures in the scriptures which help to illustrate God’s truth. Specifically, in the Old Testament, there are individuals, animals, objects and even nations which reflect biblical truths to us even today. One of those pictures is Egypt, which is a type of the world. In the passages below, what spiritual truths about Egypt can help us understand more about the world and our battle with it?
- Genesis 16:1-6, Galatians 4:22-31
- Exodus 2:23-25, Deuteronomy 4:20
- Isaiah 31:1-3
- Hebrews 11:24-27
- Exodus 16:1-8, Numbers 11:4-9
Meditating on the Word:
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world.
If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world,
the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life,
is not of the Father, but is of the world.
And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof:
but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.