A child wants to know and needs to know that they are loved. They feel security in that knowledge and that allows them to grow and mature appropriately. It is no different for the child of God. God has saved them, but in their immaturity or lack of understanding, they may question that relationship and feel insecure. This insecurity hinders their spiritual growth and walk with God. In this lesson, we will see three points which help us understand the eternal security we have in Christ:
- The Promise of God
- The Operation of God
- The Process of God
The Promise of God
Our salvation is based upon God's truth, not our feelings or logic.
1. God is Truth and He cannot lie. Titus 1:2, Romans 3:3-4, Numbers 23:19
2. Faith (belief) in Him alone can save us, not the things we do. Romans 10:8-10, Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 8:38-39
3. God is faithful, even when we are not. 2Timothy 2:11-13, 19, 1Corinthians 3:11-15, 2Timothy 1:12
The Operation of God
God has conducted a permanent, spiritual operation on us, freeing us from our sin nature.
1. We are spiritually circumcised: no longer bound to the flesh. Colossians 2:10-15, Romans 6:17-18, Ephesians 2:1-7
2. We are sealed until the day of redemption: Christ in You. Ephesians 1:12-14, Ephesians 4:30, 2Corinthians 1:21-22
3. We are secure and seated in heavenly places: You in Christ. Romans 6:3-6, Ephesians 2:4-6, Colossians 2:9-10, 1Thessalonians 5:9-10, Colossians 3:1-3
The Process of God
While we are not perfect, He is perfect, and has begun His perfect work in us.
1. We have the treasure of the Holy Spirit within us. 2Corinthians 4:6-7, Ephesians 1:13-14, Romans 8:14-16, 26, 1Corinthians 6:19-20
2. Perfection is a process. Philippians 1:6, Ephesians 2:10, Philippians 3:12-15, Isaiah 64:6-8
3. All things are become new. 2Corinthians 5:17, Ephesians 4:22-24, 2Corinthians 3:17-18
Digging Deeper – Importance of Verb Tenses
Each and every word of the Lord is important and has been preserved to teach us and provide us assurance. What do the following passages teach us about our eternal security? (pay attention to verb tenses)
Romans 5:9-11 – Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him. For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.
1Corinthians 6:9-11 – Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
2Timothy 2:11-13 - It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.
Meditating on the Word:
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation:
in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession,
unto the praise of his glory.