Who is God? What are His characteristics? Knowing God is a lifetime’s pursuit. The Bible is full of descriptions of God, His many names or attributes, and how He relates to mankind. This lesson will focus on three fundamental things for us to understand about God and who He is.
- God is love
- God is truth
- God is one
God is love
God’s very nature is love. We can only know love by knowing Him.
1. God defines what love is 1John 4:8, 16, Psalm 86:15
2. God’s love is sacrificial - it’s seen in action by the offering of Himself for us, a gift we call grace John 3:16, Romans 5:8, 1Corinthians 13:4-8
3. God’s love is seen in His call to man to have a relationship with Him and to be reconciled to Him 2Corinthians 5:20-21, Luke 5:32, Matthew 18:11
God is truth
To know God is to know Him through His Word. You cannot separate God from His truth.
1. God is absolute 1Timothy 6:15, John 17:3 and His Word is absolute Psalm 119:128, Psalm 138:2, 1Peter 1:23-25
2. God warns man about the consequences of his sin Ezekiel 33:17-20, Colossians 1:28, 2Corinthians 5:11
3. God judges according to His truth Acts 17:31, Romans 2:16, 2Timothy 4:1-2, Revelation 20:11-15
God is one
There is only one God and He is one in everything He does.
1. God is the only one Deuteronomy 6:4, John 14:6, 1Corinthians 8:5-6, 1Thessalonians 1:9
2. God is a trinity 1John 5:7, 2Corinthians 1:21-22, Ephesians 4:4-6, John 4:24
3. God is both love (grace) and truth John 1:14, Psalm 85:10, Romans 3:26, Romans 4:25
Digging Deeper – Seeing God for Who He Is (Genesis 6:5-13)
1. What thoughts come to mind when you think of God and who He is? Are these thoughts in line with scripture?
2. What grieves God? Genesis 6:5
3. How do we see God’s absolute authority in this passage? Genesis 6:6-7
4. What judgment is God bringing to the earth? Genesis 6:7
5. How did Noah find grace in this wicked time? Genesis 3:8-9
6. Where is God’s love and truth seen in this passage Genesis 6:5-13
7. What can we learn from Luke 17:26-27, 30 regarding God’s coming judgment on the current world?
Meditating on the Word:
That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory,
may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: